Friday, August 15, 2014

Willow on Veggies'

As most of us know Rabbit nutrition can be quite tricky for a new comer.  I know that I was shocked to discover that a rabbit's diet was much more complex than just throwing food in a bowl and calling it good.  A healthy diet consists mainly of high fiber hay (such as Alfalfa, Timothy, or Orchard Grass for those bunnies a bit more sensitive to the dust), a high quality pellet (given only twice a day in Willow's case), and an assortment of fresh produce.  This last part was really a surprise for me.  I mean, I knew that rabbits liked fresh veggies but I was clueless as to just how vital they were to their daily diets.

For most rabbits (if they've come from a pet store, like Willow) fresh produce hasn't been a part of their diet.  It has been a real blast slowly introducing Willow to different produce and seeing which ones she prefers.

A quick word of caution, however.  It is recommended that, for first time veggie eaters, the introduction process is slow.  Don't just throw together rabbit safe produce and feed it to your bunny.  Chances are that this, however yummy it might be to your bunny, might cause them to get sick.  It's better for your rabbit to introduce new foods one at a time that way you can determine whether or not she/he likes something or not or whether or not a certain food upsets his/her tummy.

That aside, I have introduced Willow to Romaine lettuce, carrots (given in a small quantity), and, most recently, basil.

omnomnomnom!
So far she loves the Romaine (obviously ;P) and carrots.  I gave her basil for the first time yesterday and she hasn't quite decided yet if she likes it or not.  I guess compared to the lettuce and the carrots, basil does have a much stronger aroma and taste...
"Hmm, not too sure about this stuff."
Of course she LOVES her carrots.  Who wouldn't?  Not too long ago I discovered that carrots are high in sugars and should only be given to a bunny in small amounts.  

"Yummy salad!"
For more information about a healthy rabbit diet HERE is an article I found in my own search.  I would also encourage you to do your own research on the subject.  I hope this has been helpful!

-Willow and her Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment